This was a wonderful project to work on, just me, 12 colors of pearl cotton, a needle, a thimble, a pair of scissors, and about 75 hours of stitching.
I wish that I had had the for site to photograph this vest when it came in the mail. I bought it on ebay and the add said that it was a shabby chic vest.
So I imagined that it was a little rough around the edges. The pictures were not clear, so I took a chance. When I opened the package I thought to myself, "Must ask for better pictures next time!", as it was more than just a little rough.
The red cotton of the vest had either ripped or had been torn by more than a few rough washings, most of the satin stitch embroidery had unraveled, and many of the mirrors were broken. I had my work cut out for me, to save my $4.99 investment.
I picked through my embroidery thread stash, and found some colors that I thought would liven up the vest. I started to embroider, and really just had a great time enhancing someone else's creative stitching.
I stitched right through the lining, not worrying about burying the stitches or knots. I plan to add additional lining to the front pieces (to hide my stitches), and add seam binding around the collar and center edges (as the raw edges are showing).
With a little bit of imagination, you can recycle creatively, and have fun while you are doing it.
Enjoy, and see you at the thrift store!